Are you looking for a simple and easy way to start a blog site?
Welcome .. here you will find simple and step by step guide to start your blog site using WordPress
There are two ways to create a blog on WordPress. The path we’re covering today is about how you can create a WordPress blog using WordPress.org instead of WordPress.com.
Even though in order to create a blog on WordPress.org you can do everything by yourself, you can have a complete freedom about how you want your site to look like. You’ll always be the one with the final word!
How to create a WordPress blog?
Here are the things you need to start your blogging:
(1) Choose a domain of your choice
(2) Choose a hosting company
(3) Set your hosting plan and install WordPress
(4) Choose your favorite theme
(5) Start with Posts and Pages
1. Choose a Domain
How to pick a domain name?
As an easy starting point:
- If you’re planning to set up a website for yourself, then YourName.com can be a great option.
- If you’re making a website for your business, your domain should look very professional matching with your Company. For example: YourCompanyName.com
Domain names usually end with .com, .org or .net, but in recent months, a huge amount of domain extensions (the end part of the web address, like .com) have come out, ranging from .agency to .pizza.
My best advice? Avoid the weird extensions and go with .com, .net or .org unless they perfectly describe what you have to offer – and even then, see if you can find a more common name.
- Extension ‘.com’ is used if you want to target the world wide audience.
- Extension ‘.org’ is used for any charity or an organization.
- Extension ‘.gov’ is for the government websites.
Any additional tips for choosing a domain name?
There are a few things that can help you choose your domain name:
- Is it brandable? For example, if you make a site about poetry then best-poetry-website.net is not a good choice: poetryacademy.com or poetryfall.com is much better.
- Is it memorable? Keep it simple and short, punchy names which makes easier to remember. If your domain name is too complicated, too long or spelled in a strange way, visitors may forget it and I’m sure you won’t like that.
- Is it catchy? You want a domain name that rolls off the tongue, describes what you (or your business) do and sticks in the head.
There’s one rule that always applies to domain names: If you like it, go for it.
Here are the step of how to purchase a domain:
- Below are the popular sites from which you can explore domain name and check availaibility of that particular domain. Go to a registration site. Open a web browser and navigate to a site that registers domain names. Popular sites include:
- Choose a domain name which best suits your business or blog related.
Check to see if your domain name is available. Registration sites typically have a search field on their home page. Type the domain name you want into this field and press ⏎ Return.
- Sometimes the name won’t be available for one type of domain, such as .com, but it may be available with a .net, .biz, or .co, for example.
- Certain suffixes are only available for certain types of organizations: .edu is reserved for educational institutions; .org is used for nonprofits; and .gov or .us are used for government sites.
- Select the domain you want to buy.
- Select the duration (year) for which you want to buy the domain:
Choose how many years you want to pay for. Domain names need to be renewed on a regular basis, so you’ll need to decide the number of years for which you want to register your domain.
- Typically, you can register a domain for up to 10 years at a time.
- Choose additional services which you would prefer to select:
- Make the payment and this domain is now owned by you.
Moving to another step, which is choosing hosting for your domain.
2. Choose a Hosting for your domain
First step in creating a blog on WordPress is choosing a hosting company. There are many hosting services for WordPress online, so choose one according to your needs. We’ll take SiteGround as an example and show you all the steps you need to take to have your WordPress blog launched there.
SiteGround is one of the most efficient shared hosting providers for WordPress. It comes with a cheap StartUp plan – only $3.95 per month – 10GB of space, and a bandwidth of 10,000 visits per month. It also provides you with one free domain name.
3. How to set your host and install WordPress
Here, I’ll show you how to set up your web server and then install WordPress on it. Even if you didn’t choose SiteGround for your blog, the process is almost the same for all.
Okay. Go to SiteGround.com » Web Hosting » Shared Hosting:
Choose the StartUp plan:
Follow the steps and fill out the required info:
- domain (you can either choose a new one or use an already registered address),
- personal data,
- payment and billing,
- and plan preferences.
Then, click “Pay” to complete the transaction.
Now that you have a hosting plan, use your email and password to log in to your SiteGround account:
Here’s the homepage of your account. Click on “My Accounts.”
Then, on “Go to cPanel.”
Here comes the part where you have to install WordPress. However, when you do it via SiteGround it does for you automatically. All you have to do is click on the WordPress icon:
Click on the blue button “Install” and fill out the required fields that will show up. It’s all up to you to set the protocol, your site’s description and name, and your WordPress admin username and password. You can also pick the language and complete a few other optional fields.
After this step, click “Install” at the bottom of the form and wait for WordPress to be installed by the hosting service.
Now, the installation is done!
You can start using WordPress. It only needs a bit more tuning up to make the website truly yours.
To login to your dashboard, go to YOURDOMAIN.com/wp-admin and type in the username and password you set during installation.
What you’ll see is your WordPress dashboard. This is where you get to customize everything about your site.
4. Choose a beautiful theme
Now that you’ve got WordPress installed, it’s time to give a beautiful and attractive look to your visitors.
And you do need a nice design because this is what your website looks like by default:
There are lots of free and premium WordPress themes for blogs, and a lot of places where you can go to get one. We’ve compiled some lists of the best themes out there to make this easier for you. Check one of them out:
- 20+ Best Personal Blog WordPress Themes 2016
- 10+ Best Cheap Premium WordPress Themes
- 50+ Best Free WordPress Themes for 2016
- 10+ Best WordPress Themes for Writers 2016
To add a free theme to your site follow the steps described below. For premium themes, click here.
Go to the WordPress dashboard, click on Appearance » Themes. Once there, click on “Add New” and search for the theme of your choice by its name. It should appear right away. Hover the mouse over it and click “Install” and then “Activate.”
Every theme can be customized by clicking the “Customize” link in the sidebar of the dashboard:
This way, you can change a range of visual details about your website design – from colors to backgrounds, menus, widgets, and etc. The features and customization options vary from theme to theme because themes are different under the hood, and each one comes with its own settings.
Now, for an alternative path:
If you want to get a premium theme, first, you need to buy it from its own marketplace. Usually, you’ll have to go through a quick payment process, at the end of which you’ll get a downloadable .ZIP file with the theme.
Save it to your desktop, and then upload it to the WordPress dashboard like so:
Go to Appearance » Themes » Add New » Upload Theme:
5. Start with Posts and Pages
For posting use “Post” -> “New” and for pages use “Page” -> “Add new”.
In short, “pages” are usually your Contact or About me location while posts are your blogging posts. Quite simple, right?
So let’s see how to create first blog post and see how it goes. You have to click on “Post” and then “Add new”.
Here’s an example of my first blog post (click on “Publish” to make it live).
Now you know it was not at all difficult to start a blog post. I hope you know how to start a WordPress blog yourself now.
If you decide to create your blog on your personal domain, then feel free to head over here. If you have any questions, feel free to share them via comments below.
Also read :